And what better way to spend New Years Eve than reading through your memory jar with your family?? Love it!
Here's the tutorial if you'd like to make a memory jar at home:
What you need:
- Mason jar with lid
- cute paper for label
- ribbon &/or twine to decorate
- glue gun, scissors, hole punch
- If you decide to use ribbon: Wrap ribbon around jar & mark where it overlaps. Cut your ribbon to desired length. Attach ribbon to back of jar with a dot of hot glue & wrap it tightly around the jar. You may want to add a few more dots of hot glue to make sure the ribbon is firmly attached to the glass. Use hot glue to seal the ribbon seam on the back of jar.
- If you decide to use twine: Wrap twine around jar 4-6 times to achieve the desired look. Add approximately 6 more inches to allow enough twine to tie a bow or knot & cut twine to desired length. Attach twine to back of jar with a dot of hot glue & wrap it tightly around the jar repeatedly until you're happy with how it looks. You may want to use a few additional dot of hot glue to firmly attach the twine to the glass. Tie the twine in a bow or knot.
- Use paper to make a label. You can use scrapbook paper or a label template such as this one. Use Sharpie to write "Family Memories" or "2013" or whatever you want.
- Once your label is completed, attach it to your jar either with a dot of hot glue or by hole-punching it & threading it onto your twine.
- Write your family's happenings on slips of paper throughout the year & add to your jar of memories!
Click here to read about another family's memory jar... they've been doing it for several years now.