Okay friends! Here it is... the 3rd installment and final recipes from our Moms Night Out Cooking class last month. Can I just say how amazing this is??? The crazy thing is that I don't even like shrimp OR grits, but somehow you put them together with the other meats and seasoning and sauce and it's just HEAVENLY. Try this at home... you won't be sorry!
**Read below for 3 separate recipes: The Charleston-style grits, shrimp & andouille topping, and the "Essence" seasoning mix. Thanks to Sonia for sharing her recipes and cooking prowess with us!
Shrimp and Andouille Over Charleston-Style Grits (adapted from Emeril)
Charleston-Style Grits Ingredients:
- 6 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking or old fashioned grits (NOT instant)
- 2 cups milk (whole milk will make it richer)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons butter
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for Grits:In large, heavy saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add a generous teaspoon of salt and the grits and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. When grits thicken, add milk, cream and butter and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, cover saucepan and cook for 45 minutes to one hour, until grits are tender, smooth, and creamy. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Keep covered and warm until ready to serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings
NOTE: Start grits one hour before starting the shrimp, fish & andouille as it takes 45 minutes to cook.
Shrimp, Fish & Andouille Mix Ingredients:
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-2 pounds chunked mahi mahi (or firm white fish)
- "Essence" Emeril's Creole Seasoning (buy in store or see recipe below)
- 8 ounces chicken andouille sausage (or can use regular andouille)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or canned low sodium chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
Directions:Season the shrimp and mahi with Essence and salt. Heat a large, heavy saute pan over medium-high heat and sear the andouille, cooking for about 3 minutes. Remove the andouille to a plate, and add the shrimp and fish to the pan, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the shrimp and fish from the pan, add and heat the oil. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons Essence to the pan, stirring well, then add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the chicken broth to the pan and cook until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
Stir the cream, green onions and parsley into the sauce and return the andouille, fish and shrimp to the pan. Return sauce to a simmer and continue to cook until reduced slightly. Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over Charleston-style grits.
"Essence" (Emeril's Creole Seasoning)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme